A hectic game of reflexes and spatial awareness.
The game can be discovered by playing it and becoming good at it, but here is a rundown of all the mechanics (which are really more fun to discover than to read about!)
About the game's design:
The core of the game is: Aiming at moving targets. The idea is to build all the game mechanics into this system, instead of feeling like independent systems on the side. Rundown of the game mechanics:
- Killing enemy balls slows down time for a bit, helping your aim.
- The level resets after a fixed duration. Together with the time dilation, there is almost always a chance to survive against overwhelming numbers, allowing for epic "last stand" holdouts.
- The basic enemy spawns two enemies in perpendicular motion to the player, so they are not an immediate threat, but the player must keep an eye on them.
- Upgrades are unlocked by killing the big ball, which requires you to aim correctly, and to foresee that you are not in immediate danger
- All the upgrades are intended to (1) modify the core mechanic, (2) amplify one another, and/or (3) just make the game feel great.
- Bigger bullets. Easier to hit enemies.
- Magnetic bullets. Bullet home in on enemies that are very close.
- Longer time dilation. Makes it easier to survive in tense situations (which is most of the time)
- Unstoppable reload. Reload time becomes unaffected by time dilation. Greatly synergizes with longer time dilation.
- Minelayers. Bullets spawn a mine after a certain time. Aiming can now be used to build defenses, but they don't have time to work when closely surrounded.
- Ping-pong. Bullets bounce off enemies at great speed. Feels particularly awesome with magnetic bullets because of the extra speed. Synergizes with minelayers, since bullets are almost guaranteed to spawn a mine.
The initial idea for the game was to just make a mix of Asteroids and Kung Fury: Street Rage, hence the name Asteroid Fu.
Made for the GMTK Game Jam in July 2017.
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.